The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is seeking public comment on a Draft Resource Management Plan (RMP) and Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for nearly 1.4 million acres of public lands located southwest of Phoenix in parts of Maricopa, Pinal, Pima, Gila and Yuma Counties, Arizona. The BLM Lower Sonoran Field Office (LSFO) manages these lands, including the Sonoran Desert National Monument. Comments must be submitted by Nov. 25, 2011.
Those interested in a wide range of resource issues, such as livestock grazing, hunting, target shooting, off highway travel and access management, wilderness characteristics, wildlife, and utility-scale renewable energy and utility corridors, are encouraged to review the draft plan and participate in this public process. The Draft RMP/EIS is available for review online at www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/planning/son_des.html. Printed copies and CD versions are available at the BLM Phoenix District Office or by calling 623-580-5500.
The BLM is holding a series of public meetings to receive public comments. Upcoming meetings will be held at:
- Oct. 12: 6-9 p.m., Mesa, Red Mountain Multigenerational Center, 7550 E. Adobe Road, Mesa AZ 85207.
- Oct. 13: 6-9 p.m., Casa Grande, Vista Grande High School cafeteria, 1556 N. Arizola Road, Casa Grande, AZ 85122.
- Oct. 25: 6-9 p.m., Buckeye, Youngker High School, 3000 S. Apache Road, Buckeye AZ 85326.
- Oct. 26: 6-9 p.m., Gila Bend, Unified School Dist. Auditorium, 308 N. Martin Ave., Gila Bend AZ 85337.
- Oct. 27: 6-9 p.m., Ajo, Ajo Community Center, 290 W. 5th Street, Ajo AZ 85321.
Public comments may be provided at those meetings and through the BLM website as well.
Written comments may also be submitted via facsimile at (623) 580-5580 or mailed to:
BLM, Phoenix District Office
ATTN: LS-SDNM RMP
21605 North 7th Avenue
Phoenix, Arizona 85027
Comments received or postmarked by November 25, 2011, will be considered. For further information, contact Penny Foreman, Project Manager, at (623) 580-5500.